Station Map

Public House

For nearly twenty years, from 1845 to 1866, Brake was also an emigrant harbor. Thereby, the year 1854 represented the peak with more than 7,000 passengers. The “Public House” is a witness with regard to this era. Prospective emigrants often spent weeks waiting here for the chance to set sail. During that time, facilities such as the “Public House” served them as a store or a place of dwelling. Even the local ship chandleries catered to this group of people. Indeed, the “Public House” and the ship chandleries were located beneath the same roof. In 1866, a small group of emigrants commenced the last transit from Brake into the New World. Bremerhaven had already specialized in this lucrative transport business. In 1854, more than 75,000 people were transported from Bremerhaven towards America. [More]


The floodgate lock of Brake connects the sea harbor – the Stromkajen – to the inland harbor. In the past, this very point served as the entry into the “Braksiel”, which was utilized as a protected moorage for small vessels, prior to its subsequent use as an expanded harbor basin. Already as early as the beginning of the 19th century, the space for mooring was extraordinarily limited, given that the ships of the Imperial Navy overwintered here. On the 29th of October 1861, the first ship passed through the floodgate in Brake. In 1980, the facility was modernized to serve as a chamber lock independent of the tides and with the ability to protect against storm surges. [More]

Sailmaker Block

The street Lindenstrasse was founded in 1798, comprising the second section between the streets Breite Strasse and Mitteldeichstrasse towards the inland harbor. However, it was first built up as of 1850. In 1874, the residential house, the workshop and the warehouse of the sailmaking company Segelmacherei Block was built. Even today, the sign continues to make reference to the original function of the site. Indeed, in this very location, the in part formidable sails for the brigs, barques and fully-rigged ships of Brake were cut on the drawing floor beneath the ceilings and seamed together in the workshop. The load roller beneath the gable facilitated the transport of the heavy canvasses and other materials. Currently, the house serves as an example of a typical craftsman´s house in Brake towards the late 19th Century. [More]


Anton Tobias (1777-1849) was an extraordinarily successful personality in Brake. In 1802, he opened at the age of 25 initially a bakery. He sold his bread to the crews of the numerous ships moored in Brake. Thereby, he laid the foundation for his subsequent wealth. Shortly thereafter, he founded a brewery, a shipping line, a shipyard and a train oil distillery. Above all, his son Christian Tobias (1803-1876) was involved with a fleet of 13 ships, including the barque "Azaria", displayed as a model in the Maritime Museum, in hunting down seals and whales near Greenland as well as in the South Pacific. The inscription on the facade of the storehouse, first built in 1890, reminds us of the bygone era. [More]

Maritime Museum - Telegraph

The so-called Telegraph was built in 1846 as a station along the semaphore (optical telegraph) line between Bremen and Bremerhaven. Oldenburg´s administration financed the venture. Having a signalmast on their roofs, the merchants and shipowners were now able to conveniently relay messages between ships arriving and departing – at least during the daytime and with good visual conditions. Nonetheless, as soon as 1852, this form of communications was history. The electromagnetic telegraphy distinguished itself in terms of reliability and rapidity. The building subsequently served in various functions, including as a prison and as a firehouse. Since 1960, it has been the parent house of the Maritime Museum of the Oldenburgian Lower Weser. In 2014, following an extensive period of renovation and modernization, it was reopened. [More]

Sailing Ship - Großherzogin Elisabeth

The "Großherzogin Elisabeth" (Grand Duchess Elisabeth) started her life as the "San Antonio". The gaff-rigged schooner was launched on the 19th of August 1909 in Ablasserdam (Netherlands) and was worldwide the first cargo sailing ship which was equipped with a diesel motor. In 1982, the ship, known as "Ariadne" at the time, was purchased by the School Ship Society Grand Duchess Elisabeth, her current owner. She is warmly referred to as the “Lissi”. Moreover, she reminds us of the fully-rigged ship of the same name, a vessel built in 1901 and which served in a training capacity for a long period of time. The latter vessel is the "Duchesse Anne", now located in the French harbor of Dunkirk.The „Lissi“ is 63.70 m long, has a beam of 8.23 m and a sail area of 1010 m². Apart from the summer season, the vessel serves the Faculty of Navigation at the Jade College of Applied Sciences as a training ship. Additionally, it is open to the public for guest cruises and may be viewed along the pier of Elsfleth. [More]

House Suhren

Georg von der Vring (1889-1968), until this day the only honorary citizen of Brake, was a writer and a painter. He grew up at the house of his grandfather Georg Suhren in the Schulstrasse in Brake. Georg von der Vring attended the Evangelical Educational Seminar in Oldenburg and subsequently the Royal Academy of Arts in Berlin. In addition to his merit as a painter, he also gained recognition as an author. In 1927, his book “Soldier Suhren” was regarded as the first German anti-war novel. Already at the age of 14, Georg von der Vring left his city of birth, but he remained tru to Brake throughout his life. His grave is located in the cemetary Kirchhammelwarden. The Maritime Museum of the Oldenburgian Lower Weser honors the artist with a small exhibition. [More]


The riverine island Harriersand is eleven kilometers long and is located directly adjacent to the center of Brake. It received ist current form as a result oft he so-called “Weser correction”. Thereby, the Lower Weser was straightened and deepened from Bremen down to the estuary, as it flows into the North Sea near Bremerhaven. In the course of this technical masterpiece, a revolutionary achievement under the direction of Bremen´s Chief Construction Officer, Ludwig Franzius (1832-1903), Harriersand was formed by uniting seven riverine islands along Brake´s coast. Harriersand is now home to 150 holiday cottages, a campsite and many small sand beaches. The ferry GUNTSIET travels regularly between Brake and Harriersand. [More]

Fisher House

In the middle of the 18th century, the first steps were made towards a municipally oriented settlement structure in Brake. In 1746, some 28 residential houses were documented in Brake. Craftsmen, merchants, fishermen, barge shippers and maritime pilots lived here. Among the latter war a man named Addick Addicks. In 1731, he and his wife Elisabeth commissioned the construction of the building now known as the “Fischerhaus” (“Fisher House”). It is one of the oldest houses in Brake, a so-called Low German Hall House. At the beginning of the 1990s, the house was painstakingly restored. In the meantime, the atmospherically charming rooms are often the settings of weddings. Additionally, Brake´s Heritage Society and the Association “Culture in the Fisher House” host concerts, small presentations and readings in the house. [More]


The term „Duckdalben “refers to mooring dolphins for ships in harbors, and these non-swimming dolphins are rammed into the ground and arranged in groups of three. Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig von Oldenburg (1755-1829) commissioned the first „Duckdalben“ along the Weser waterway parallel to Brake, offering the numerous ships a chance to tie up along the pier. In 1790, as many as 138 vessels made use of the dolphins. Indeed, these dolphins served as the basis for the subsequent upturn in maritime traffic and cargo handling in Brake, with the expansion of the harbor amd the Stromkaje following in the wake of these developments. This museum exhibit showing significant traces of usage is an example of such a dolphin, and it is often an object in artistic presentations. [More]